Evan has led cSPA since its launch in early 2020.
He had been the "Quick Study" columnist for the Boston Globe, using data to tell stories about policy issues affecting Massachusetts and the nation as a whole. He also contributed data-heavy stories for FiveThirtyEight, NBC's Think, and the Washington Post, and briefly served as fill-in host for WBUR's Radio Boston.
Evan has worked at several Massachusetts think tanks, one focused on equitable economic outcomes and another dedicated to improving long-term thinking in capital markets.
In the bygone past, Evan was a professor of English Literature, with stints at Stanford, Harvard, Brandeis, Princeton, and the University of North Texas. He also attended the Cordon Bleu, where he learned a set of French cooking techniques that he now uses to keep his family happy at dinnertime.
Non-Resident Senior Fellow
Samuel M. Gebru is a social entrepreneur and community organizer serving as a Nonresident Senior Fellow at the Center for State Policy Analysis (cSPA) at Tufts University’s Jonathan M. Tisch College of Civic Life. He joined cSPA in January 2022 and contributes to policy research, programming, and partnerships. An experienced leader and connector, Samuel has devoted over half of his life to creating and guiding initiatives, building partnerships, and advocating for economic opportunity and social justice. He is the Managing Director of Black Lion Strategies, a boutique social impact and public affairs consulting firm, building on his 17 years of political and nonprofit experience in the United States and East Africa.
Samuel discovered his vocation for public service as a 13-year-old bringing attention to maternal health issues and raising funds for women suffering from obstetric fistula, a rare childbirth injury. He is a former candidate for City Council in his hometown of Cambridge, Massachusetts, and he remains deeply involved in local, state, and federal policy issues, including housing, economic development, public health, youth leadership, and public safety. He is multilingual, serves on several boards and commissions, is a frequent public speaker, and is an enthusiastic coffee and ice cream aficionado.
cSPA is supported by the Dean of Tisch College Dayna Cunningham, the Tisch College team, and an advisory council that includes:
- Governor Michael Dukakis, Distinguished Professor of Political Science at Northeastern University
- Michael Widmer, Former President of the Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation
- Katherine Craven, Chief Administrative and Financial Officer at Babson
- Ted Landsmark, Director of the Dukakis Center at Northeastern University
- Jennifer Nassour, Founder of Pocketbook Project and Host of Political Contessa
- Natasha Warikoo, Professor of Sociology at Tufts University
- Carolyn Ryan, Senior Vice President for Policy and Research at the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce
- Kate Dineen, Executive Vice President at A Better City
- Jeffrey Berry, Professor of Political Science at Tufts University
- Yolanda Coentro, President and CEO of the Institute for Nonprofit Practice
- Lauren Jones, Executive Vice President at the Massachusetts Business Roundtable